Saturday, June 23, 2007

Paul's Last Night

It's been a week now since my friend Paul returned to the U.S. permanently to begin his anesthesiology residency, so to honor him I wanted to post a few pics from his last night in Japan. We enjoyed a small dinner at Stove's in Yokohama. It's a surfer/Hawaiian-themed restaurant that features mostly American junkfood about a block from bustling Yokohama station on a quiet little side street near a canal. I really like it because it has a small outdoor patio, great for sitting outside and having a beer in the summertime. We had an anchovie-garlic pizza, which came with an entire assortment of hot sauces. I tried probably the spiciest sauce I have ever eaten called "vicious viper sauce". I can tolerate a pretty high spiciness (high Scofield unit for all you capsaicin geeks out there); I even enjoy level 10/10 at CoCo Curry, a local chain of curry joints. But that sauce just about dropped me to my knees!





From there we ventured over to Cheers, a European-style beer house that features about 5 or 6 obscure, imported "guest beers" every night. It's also one of the few places around that has Hoegaarden on tap. It's Paul's favorite bar in Japan, so it was good place to spend his last evening at.








Paul, you're a good friend, a great doctor, and I know you'll be a fantastic anesthesiologist! Cheers to you buddy!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well Bernie...Thanks to you and Akemi for showing me that Japan is a great place despite my "issues". I appreciate all your pictures and nice comments. You and Akemi are welcome at our house anytime. We will help with the "chunkification" process when you and Akemi desire! Domo arigato gozaimashita!