Sunday, June 11, 2006

Yankee-Hotel-Latecomer


Whattup yo! This post is about something I recently came upon, or I should say, was introduced to. My friend Paul played some snippets for me from the album "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" by Wilco, and I was blown away! This album actually came out in 2002, while I was in the midst of my residency, and I didn't pay much mind to it since it was constantly placed under the heading of the much-hyped "alt-country". I try not to jump on bandwagons or follow behind trends, so I pretty much ignored all the fanfare. "Alt-country" is pretty much a hipster-doofus term for music that has a decidedly "country" perspective, but the band members wear cool indie T-shirts. Anywho, I downloaded the entire album from iTunes and now I'm hooked. Wilco has a style that echoes both Beck and Radiohead, while being completely original. What really grabbed me was the first track, "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart". There is a breakdown in the intro that totally reminds of the breakdown in the Beatles "A Day In The Life", my all-time favourite Beatles track. In the latter, Beatles' producer George Martin introduced the ringing alarm clock that rounds out the cacophonous symphonic meltdown and ties it into the "Woke up, fell out of bed..." bridge. There are hints of that beautiful chaos in the "Break Your Heart" intro. The rest of the album follows suit and is totally captivating in its folky-slacker-psychedelic bliss.

Sooooo... check it out! And by the way, check out my newly added links list over to the left side of your screen. These are some of my frequently visited sites. I'll add more later...

Enjoy, and don't believe the hype!

No comments: