Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Good, The Bad, and The Supergroup


So there's this new group/album that recently came out called 'The Good, The Bad, and The Queen', comprised of Damon Albarn of Blur, Gorillaz, Clash bassist Paul Simonon, former Verve guitarist Simon Tong and Afrobeat pioneer and Africa 70 drummer Tony Allen. Yet another Albarn side-project, this one takes a different direction from the electronic-campy Gorillaz and goes the route of a more spacy, mellow-happy dancehall/reggae vibe. Though the lyrics center around current social issues in England, the sound is more of a trippy Radiohead-goes-to-Disneyland feel. I've been reading a lot of reviews which describe it as "boring", but I disagree. You have to give it a serious listen while just chilling out at home or while riding the train and you'll catch all of its little intricacies. Historically, I'm not a big reggae fan, but I think this album appeals to me because it's very "British", if that makes any sense. Definitely high on my current playlist. Go check it out mon!

No comments: